MILESTONES, AWARDS & RECOGNITION
The IGD Habshan 5 Project is epitome of the global vision of the client, GASCO, to carry out activities in the project site safely, responsibly, efficiently and economically. The focus on health, safety and the environment has been an authentic and core value of this project.
GASCO commissioned the Joint Venture of JGC Corporation and Tecnimont to manage and complete the development of IGD Habshan 5 project, the largest in the Abu Dhabi gas industry. The billion-dollar Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) contract involved over 800 engineers from 6 different countries.
The sheer scale of the IGD Habshan 5 project is immense:
- Over 100 million-man hours worked by tens of thousands of people, including over 25,000 people on site at its peak
- A total site area of over 4 square kilometres
- Around 72,000 tonnes of steel on the project, the equivalent of 10 Eiffel Towers
- More than 7,500 km cables of wiring, almost a fifth of the world's circumference
- Over 267,000 cubic meters of concrete, enough to build a replica of the Petronas Twin Towers in Malaysia
Like many large scale projects, another significant challenge was bringing together teams from different parts of the world with all the associated cultural and language differences. The presence of over 35 different nationalities on the IGD Habshan 5 project necessitated a thorough and dynamic approach in the creation of a high performing safety culture. The management team of JGC and its Joint Venture partner recognized that for HSE Management System (HSEMS) to be effectively implemented on the project, communication throughout all levels of the project was of outmost importance. They identified that the Incident and Injury-Free® (IIF®) programme could help.